Senior System Engineer (SSE) is in charge of installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and design of a hybrid IT environment using both Microsoft virtualization technology and Azure; including the networking aspects, ensuring all the business and the technical requirements are met. This environment is spread over multiple sites in Europe and working together with other IT staff and teams all over Europe will be essential. SSE will be working in an international environment with a flat organizational structure where initiative is expected and appreciated. Together with the developer, support and management teams, SSE will be a part of delivering IT services with a real impact on human lives in over 42 countries. SSE also ensures that all IT systems will operate according to the desired level of security decided in agreement with the HPI per the business requirements and ARC strategy, and to the applicable Data Privacy (GDPR) regulations.
Job responsibilities and authorities:
- To install, maintain, troubleshoot and design of a hybrid IT environment using both Microsoft virtualization technology and Azure; and including the networking aspects.
- working within the team consisting of fellow system engineers reporting to the HPI
- To design the infrastructure parts of solutions together with architects and developers; critical thinking and outside-the-box proposals are more than welcome.
- To lead in planning and implementing changes to infrastructure with the goal of enhancing performance and security.
- To perform and manage IT operations, migrations and disaster recovery operations.
- To plan and perform software and operating system upgrades and track system/software licensing.
- To provide 2nd – 3rd level support (help desk) by troubleshooting problems related to network or platform performance, when needed.
- To document process and troubleshooting material related to systems/networks software and hardware.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to other IT Engineers and IT support teams.
- Perform capacity planning, performance monitoring and tuning, backup/recovery, problem isolation, root cause analysis and resolution, including creation of the preventative measures.
- To ensure disaster recovery plans are up to date, fully operational and fully in line with the ARC business continuity plan.
- Support and contribute to the ISO certification for the related processes.
Skill requirements and personal attributes:
- Minimum 10 years hands-on experience as a system engineer
- Bachelor in a related IT field or equivalent through experience
- Certifications are a plus but certainly not a necessity
- English is the primary language, other languages are a benefit but not a necessity
- Proven experience with Microsoft virtualization, Office 365, Azure, Intune and core components like AD, DHCP, DNS and File & Print
- Proven experience with both server-side and client-side Microsoft operating systems
- Proven experience in Networking (LAN, WAN, WLAN, switching, routing, firewall, load balancer, …)
- Advantage to have experience with Linux based systems
- Advantage to have experience with Atlassian products like Confluence, JIRA and Bitbucket
- Advantage to have experience with docker and kubernetes
- Advantage to have networking experience with managed switches, routers, firewalls and load balancers
- Advantage to have experience with VMware virtualization
- Advantage to have experience with storage systems
- Advantage to have experience with security
- No fear of documentation; creating, updating and maintaining.
- Working knowledge of ITIL
- Basic knowledge of project management
Internal and external contacts:
- All teams in ARC Europe Group
- Technical contacts from ARC Europe Network and its providers
- External teams & consultants in the scope of IIT.
- IT Suppliers and representatives
- Administrator level access to the IT and network systems of ARC.
What we offer:
- An interesting job opportunity with plenty of variety in a high level, international, multicultural & multilingual environment and the ability to influence the future of the sector.
- Salary package in line with responsibilities and market expectations.
- Easy access office location in Brussels close to the NATO headquarters and Airport.